Thursday, August 5, 2010

Post Op Appointment

Brynn and I got up this morning to head to her post op appointment. I was hoping for answers today, after all we should know what was causing all the sinus issues. I should have known, nothing is a simple answer when it comes to Brynn.

To start off, I'll begin with the start of the appointment. Her doctor came in, checked her out, said her throat looked pretty good, the left side is healed up, the right side still is completely scabbed, her uvula is still pretty swollen. But overall, her throat looks alright. He checked her nose, said it looks good, he decided he didn't need to do any picking since Brynn had been taking care of making sure her nose could breathe, what kid doesn't pick their nose when something's in it. Anyway, he said we should start twice daily saline nasal rinsing again and come back in two weeks for another recheck. He said she does have a slight fever which has been there since the surgery but, that nothing looked infected today.

So, then her doctor went to get the information on the culture since it had not been printed yet. He came back and said "well...." (btw that's never a good thing when he does this). I said so, is it the fungal sinusitis. He says "the preliminary report is the only thing that's back and the stain says no but, there is something else". He said it's not just a cut and dry case of just sinusitis since from the microscopic description from the lab, they said there was chronic inflammation with foreign body giant cell reaction, occasional pigmented macrophages and fibrosis. What the heck does that mean. I asked him does that mean there was a toy or something in her nose, he said no that it means something was growing in her nose and was large enough to be called a foreign body. I asked him what it would be if the culture comes back not to be the fungal sinusitis and he said we will worry about that if it happens. Not what I wanted to hear but, he knows me well enough now that if he said what it could be otherwise I would probably freak out . I think he still thinks it's the fungal sinusitis. He said that there is still a possibility that it is the fungal sinusitis but, that the whole report won't be back for a couple more weeks so, we'll hope that's what it is. Anywho, we are hoping that the full report will be back when we go back on the 17th.

On her tonsils, the report on them was that yes, they were overreacting and actually growing trying to fight off infection. They came back that they were very large with lymphoid hyperplasia with germinal centers. Basically it's a good thing they are gone since she would just continue to have more and more problems because of them.

Anyway, if any of this makes since to anyone, let me in on the secret because I have no clue. Otherwise I'll update on this again after the 17th.

No comments: