We went to Brynn's second post-op appointment on Tuesday. We were hoping to have all the answers and put this all behind us. Of course, not the case.
Her doctor said the final report came in and it was not fungus. They have no clue what caused all of this and we probably never will know unless it happens again. The doctor said that Brynn must have inhaled some kind of partical that was almost toxic to her and it lodged in her sinus and her body tried to fight back and it couldn't clear it.
He said overall she looks really good for having sinus surgery. He said we are doing great on keeping her sinuses cleaned out while they heal. He did say that she's already looking inflamed and irritated in her nose again so, we are going to start with the steriod nasal spray now instead of in two more weeks. He said to keep doing the twice daily saline rinses and add the steroid spray. We will do this for a month and then we'll recheck her and decide if the sprays are enough or if we want to go ahead with the allergy shots. So, that's where we stand for the next month.
On a side note, the most digusting thing I've ever expirenced happened the other night. Normally I'm totally into gross disgusting things, this was almost too much for me even. So, we are sitting in the living room and Brynn says "I feel like a scab is hanging in my throat". I say "let's get the flashlight and look", (this has been happening a lot since her surgery). I was totally expecting nothing maybe that the scab on the left side of her throat finally came off all the way. We turn on the flashlight and I look in. I see a brown/dark green stream running down her throat. We have had a lot of expirence with snot running down her throat but, not like this. I said "let's do your rinse right now instead of later". We head for the bathroom. The first half of the bottle was pretty uneventful, a little dark green snot here and there. The doctor said we needed to do the rinse until the water ran clear. We made it through the first 8oz bottle and was still getting the green snot. The next bottle I start to squirt up there and a dark brown thing starts coming out of Brynn's nose. She had to take a breathe so, let the bottle get air in it so, I could squirt it again. I squirt more up her nose and this brown snake looking thing comes out of her nose. I swear to you it was ten inches long and bigger than a pencil around and it slithered down the drain. It took everything I had to not throw up. I was yelling for Chris to come look but as I said it ran down that drain. Brynn says to me "well that was disgusting" and the burst into laughter because she saw how grossed out I was. So, then I collected my thoughts and we continued. The rest of that bottle was uneventful. I asked the doctor about it and he said that's normal and part of the healing process. EWWWW! Since then, I've got used to it, none have been as disgusting as that one, thank goodness.
Brynn's appointment was in Brentwood so the kids and I went over on Monday. We got to play with Brynn's best buddy Alexis Monday night. They played and played until we left at 8:30. It was so much fun to get the girls together to play. They hadn't seen eachother since school got out in June. We went to my aunt's house to stay the night. We had Brynn's appointment in the morning. Then we headed back to my aunt's house and my friend Gina came over with her daughter. We all swam in the pool for hours and hours. The kids had such a great time, it was so nice to catch up with Gina it had been way too long. Chris came over when get got done with his training and my aunt barbequed hamburgers and made cupcakes for Chris' birthday. Then we got in the car and headed back home. I do have to say I really miss Oakley/Brentwood. The weather is great there (even if I did get majorly sunburnt) and the friends we have there. They are amazing. I am going to make a point to get over that way more often to see everyone. I really needed this visit with my friends and family. I came home all refreshed. Thank you Gina, Deanna and Aunt Sherry.
Since our summer has been pretty messed up and stressful we've decided to take the kids to Disneyland tomorrow for a little summer vacation trip. Brynn starts school in less than two weeks and we've done nothing except stress and surgery all summer long. It's time for us all to have a great weekend as a family. So, off to Disneyland we go!
1 comment:
Oh my gosh, that story about Brynn's goober is pretty gross. It grossed me out and I'm in NURSING school (plus worked on the ambulance for a long time).... seen a lot of gross things! I love the Brynn thought it was so funny you were so grossed out. What a funny kid! Hope she gets feeling 100% soon!
Post a Comment