Tuesday, August 31, 2010

First Grade!!!







Brynn started the first grade yesterday. Wow. Time has really flown by. Hard to believe. She was so nervous Sunday and Sunday night over starting school at a new school where we know absolutely no one. We did luck out on Friday when we went to Parker's new preschool for an open house though. One of the ladies that was at Brynn's school on Wednesday when we turned her papers in and got her teachers name was at Parker's school on Friday with her kids. Her daughter is going to be in Parker's preschool class and we figured out that Brynn and her son Tad are in the same class at school. So at least there would be a familiar new face for Brynn on the first day.

Sunday she was so worried about people not liking her and her teacher being mean. Sunday night she had a really hard time sleeping. Finally at 10pm she fell asleep. I went in to wake her up Monday morning and she was already awake when I went in. She said she was excited to go but, still really nervous and that she had a dream about her teacher. She said it was weird because her teacher kept telling the kids they couldn't put things on the back of their chairs. Poor kiddo. So, anyway, she got all dressed up in her new clothes. Chris and Parker were going to walk with us to school but, Parker fell back to sleep so the boys slept in while I took Brynn.

We got to the school it was very busy with kids and parents. The school seems much bigger than her school last year. The main thing I noticed was Brynn stood out like a sore thumb. She is the only bleach blonde kid in her class and possibly the only milky in the whole school. Not that that matters, it was just funny. We'll be able to pick her out of a crowd at least. I walked her into her class and got her settled at her desk, gave her a kiss and a hug (ok like 20 but, she wanted me to give her loves), then I walked to the door and just watched with other parents. She thought I had left, I wanted to see how she was doing though. Her teacher had the kids start coloring a picture and told all the parents it was time to go. She looked up and saw me. We smiled at eachother, I waved, she waved back, I blew her a kiss and that's where I really knew my baby girl is growing up... her face turned red and she just grinned at me but, wouldn't blow a kiss back. Kinda broke my heart a little to see that she is really growing up.

The rest of the time she was at school Parker and I stayed busy, we went for a run, played at the park, played at the house. He kept telling me he wanted his "Deedee" to come home and that school needed to be over. So, both Parker and I had Brynn on our minds the entire time. We all went to pick her up from school. She had a great day, whew! Thank goodness. She said she loves her teacher and made a new friend, although she didn't remember her name. They had science class and it was so fun and the science teacher is really funny. She showed Daddy her classroom and we headed home. Brynn and Parker played with eachother the rest of the day and evening.

Today was a little different, she was exhausted from yesterday, so waking her up was just like it was all last year where she would be grumpy. Once she was up she was ready to go again. She was really excited because they got to do PE today. Dropped her off with no problem. When I picked her up she had me meet her new friends. Sabrina is the girl she eats lunch with and plays with at recess and then there is Brenna and Katelyn. We said our goodbyes to the new friends and walked home.
On the way home she says to me, "Mrs Dinh made me go to my desk". I said "like you got in trouble or something". She said "kinda...." I said "what happened". She says " well we were sitting on our spots on the floor and I was talking so Mrs. Dinh told me to go sit at my desk". I told her how she needs to be quiet and listen when Mrs. Dinh was talking and she said that Mrs. Dinh wasn't talking at the time though but, had told them they needed to be quiet. I asked her if she got her card changed to yellow (their disipline system) and she said no. I told her to try not to talk when she's supposed to be quiet because if they keep their cards on green all week they get a treasure. She's really into getting a treasure so, hopefully that incentive will help. It's funny because Chris and I were so concerned about her since she's been timid for the last year, when she said it was for talking today I almost wanted to congratulate her for being brave and talking to new people. Chris said the same thing. I have a feeling good things are headed her way this year.

No comments: