This is vacation face.... well he has shaved it off since this picture
Sporting the boot. At least it's not THAT noticeable
Us
Mr. Man
The little Miss Fashion QueenSo let's start with the newest. Today Brynn had her surgery to get ear tubes and to have her adenoids taken out. I have been really stressed out and nervous about this day since it was scheduled two weeks ago. I barely slept last night. We got up, got ready, headed out the door to the hospital. Brynn didn't show any signs of being nervous until we got out to the car. I could tell she wanted to cry but, didn't want to let it go. I told her she would be ok. We had been talking about this day for about a week. Her biggest concern was they would make her fall asleep and that she wouldn't wake back up. Poor kiddo. Honestly that was one of my biggest concerns also.
We made it to the hospital. Got her checked in. Her doctor came in told us what they were going to do and that the nurse and anesthesiologist would come get her. You could see her getting more nervous but, she just kept holding my hand. The anesthesiologist came in told Brynn they were going to have her smell bubble gum and she was going to try to blow up a balloon. Brynn shook her head ok. They said alright lets head back. I gave her a kiss and they wheeled her off.
They had us go to the waiting room, it was by far the longest hour of my life. The whole time I was so worried about how scared she was when they wheeled her off. I was worried about what she would dream about after being so scared to go. We kept ourselves busy, playing on our phones, and looking at magazines. I saw the clock was 10:25 and I told Chris they should be done anytime now, just as I said it Brynn's doctor walked in and got us. He said he'd explain everything to us once we got back with Brynn.
He opened the door to the recovery area and you could hear her whimpering and it progressively got louder into a full scream. Then she was in eye sight and I saw the most heartbreaking thing a mom could see. They had told us prior to her surgery that some people wake up from anesthesia just being groggy and some are agitated. They explanation wasn't what we were watching at all. Agitated is putting it mildly. She looked like she was having a seizure. Her body was full stretched out all muscles flexed, then she'd flop around, try to crawl, the two nurses would manhandle her to keep her on the bed. She was swinging her arms, rolling, and looked like she was going to turn into the incredible hulk. She kept getting tangled up in her IV's. The nurses would try to get her untangled and she'd start flopping again and get all tangled. It was horrible. They said some kids come out of the anesthesia that way but, she was really working herself up. About five minutes into it, she started to calm a little and realized I was there. I picked her up and held her. She came around more and then it turned into a full on sobbing baby girl. She said she hurt really bad. I held her, I felt so helpless. What could I do. It's something I hope to never have to put her through again.
The doctor talked to us. He said that the surgery went well. He said got in her ears and they were completely backed up with puss and gunk. He got them cleaned out and put the tubes in. Then he did the adenoids. He said her sinuses were horribly full of gunk and so he cleaned all the gunk out and removed the adenoids. He said her adenoids were enlarged, so it was a good thing to get them out. He said she should start feeling better now hopefully. I have already noticed a difference. She was talking so quietly when we got home, it was really strange. I asked her if she could hear better now and she said yeah, it's really loud when I talk now.
So, we were sitting on the couch when we got home and she said her throat hurt and her tongue felt weird. I said does it feel numb or what to do you mean it feels weird. She said it felt fat. I told her to stick out her tongue. I was shocked. She must have bit her tongue in her hulk moment. Her tongue has teeth marks on it. The sides of her tongue are all swollen. I felt so bad. Poor kid has a sore throat, sore ears and now a sore tongue. As of this evening she was doing pretty good. She has an appetite again so, that was great. She ate two pancakes for dinner. Her first food in over 24 hours. I hope tomorrow she feels much better.
On to my broken leg... So, I bragged so much about my half marathon I guess I deserve it. I have had a pain in my ankle for about two weeks prior to the half marathon. Nothing serious, just was tender to touch the skin. Well, I went for a run on Monday and same as always nothing bad. Tuesday Chris came along with me for a run. About two miles in, I said my ankle hurts. We made it the full four miles. I got home took my shoe off and my ankle and lower leg were very swollen. I called my doctor. They couldn't get me in for two days. It hurt pretty bad, I thought about going to urgent care but, figured it couldn't be broken. The swelling didn't go down and my ankle and lower leg were bruised by the time had my appointment. My doctor did an xray, he says "well you won't be running for at least six weeks, I'd rather you wait two to three months to run again"...... SAY WHAT!? He said "you have a serious stress fracture of your fibia, if you would've kept running on it much longer it would've broke all the way through".... well CRAP. So, my running life is put on hold now and I'm wearing a very hot walking cast. A week later most of the swelling has gone down except a nice lump above my ankle. So, yes I got what I deserved.
We made it to the hospital. Got her checked in. Her doctor came in told us what they were going to do and that the nurse and anesthesiologist would come get her. You could see her getting more nervous but, she just kept holding my hand. The anesthesiologist came in told Brynn they were going to have her smell bubble gum and she was going to try to blow up a balloon. Brynn shook her head ok. They said alright lets head back. I gave her a kiss and they wheeled her off.
They had us go to the waiting room, it was by far the longest hour of my life. The whole time I was so worried about how scared she was when they wheeled her off. I was worried about what she would dream about after being so scared to go. We kept ourselves busy, playing on our phones, and looking at magazines. I saw the clock was 10:25 and I told Chris they should be done anytime now, just as I said it Brynn's doctor walked in and got us. He said he'd explain everything to us once we got back with Brynn.
He opened the door to the recovery area and you could hear her whimpering and it progressively got louder into a full scream. Then she was in eye sight and I saw the most heartbreaking thing a mom could see. They had told us prior to her surgery that some people wake up from anesthesia just being groggy and some are agitated. They explanation wasn't what we were watching at all. Agitated is putting it mildly. She looked like she was having a seizure. Her body was full stretched out all muscles flexed, then she'd flop around, try to crawl, the two nurses would manhandle her to keep her on the bed. She was swinging her arms, rolling, and looked like she was going to turn into the incredible hulk. She kept getting tangled up in her IV's. The nurses would try to get her untangled and she'd start flopping again and get all tangled. It was horrible. They said some kids come out of the anesthesia that way but, she was really working herself up. About five minutes into it, she started to calm a little and realized I was there. I picked her up and held her. She came around more and then it turned into a full on sobbing baby girl. She said she hurt really bad. I held her, I felt so helpless. What could I do. It's something I hope to never have to put her through again.
The doctor talked to us. He said that the surgery went well. He said got in her ears and they were completely backed up with puss and gunk. He got them cleaned out and put the tubes in. Then he did the adenoids. He said her sinuses were horribly full of gunk and so he cleaned all the gunk out and removed the adenoids. He said her adenoids were enlarged, so it was a good thing to get them out. He said she should start feeling better now hopefully. I have already noticed a difference. She was talking so quietly when we got home, it was really strange. I asked her if she could hear better now and she said yeah, it's really loud when I talk now.
So, we were sitting on the couch when we got home and she said her throat hurt and her tongue felt weird. I said does it feel numb or what to do you mean it feels weird. She said it felt fat. I told her to stick out her tongue. I was shocked. She must have bit her tongue in her hulk moment. Her tongue has teeth marks on it. The sides of her tongue are all swollen. I felt so bad. Poor kid has a sore throat, sore ears and now a sore tongue. As of this evening she was doing pretty good. She has an appetite again so, that was great. She ate two pancakes for dinner. Her first food in over 24 hours. I hope tomorrow she feels much better.
On to my broken leg... So, I bragged so much about my half marathon I guess I deserve it. I have had a pain in my ankle for about two weeks prior to the half marathon. Nothing serious, just was tender to touch the skin. Well, I went for a run on Monday and same as always nothing bad. Tuesday Chris came along with me for a run. About two miles in, I said my ankle hurts. We made it the full four miles. I got home took my shoe off and my ankle and lower leg were very swollen. I called my doctor. They couldn't get me in for two days. It hurt pretty bad, I thought about going to urgent care but, figured it couldn't be broken. The swelling didn't go down and my ankle and lower leg were bruised by the time had my appointment. My doctor did an xray, he says "well you won't be running for at least six weeks, I'd rather you wait two to three months to run again"...... SAY WHAT!? He said "you have a serious stress fracture of your fibia, if you would've kept running on it much longer it would've broke all the way through".... well CRAP. So, my running life is put on hold now and I'm wearing a very hot walking cast. A week later most of the swelling has gone down except a nice lump above my ankle. So, yes I got what I deserved.
2 comments:
Oh momhoot. Maybe I'm a "hormone" (as Paula would say) but I got all teary eyed about Brynn waking up. You are one strong momma! Love ya lots and glad it went well!
Hopefully brynns surgery will cure all of the problems she's been having over the last year. Now if only we could get parker fixed too!
Sorry to hear about your foot - It takes a lot to even get out there and run and now to be told you can't sucks!
Post a Comment